Friday, November 13, 2009

Carry on Bag Only!


My friend Katie Gilbert who travels the world asked me to share how I recently managed to pack for a 10 day trip with only a carry on bag.  Hmmm ... strategy:  Pick a basic color, black - Black pants, skirt, dress, yoga pants, tights and stockings.  All of my (10) tops, plus two cammies were lightweight & I chose fabrics that don't wrinkle and I rolled everything rather than folding. All my toiletries were the small size and fit into a quart bag for passing security, and I only needed a small make up bag.  I packed my flat iron, but left my blow dryer at home, packed black boots and one blazer. I even had room for a pair of pajama pants and a tank top to sleep in, and I took 3 scarves.  Part of my strategy was what I wore on the plane ... jeans, a top and a black leather blazer --- all more bulky, but great items for mix & match.  And here was my insurance policy ... that SECOND carry on you are allowed to take.  I put my computer, and normal event purse (large enough for the computer and notebook) inside a larger duffle bag so if I had extra items on my way back, I had room.  I made certain that it would fit under the seat in front of me.  Katie, I took MOST all the "equipment" you like to take ... Computer, back up hard drive, Cannon Camera ... a small one ... and my Flip Camera.  The major difference is that I don't have that LARGE camera that you like to use (and would like to have one, too!).  Did I forget anything?  YES!  I forgot my business cards!  Solution?  I went to  Staples online to choose, design and have 200 printed at a nearby store.  It took only 4 hours and I had cards for the event.  Problem solved, quickly and easily ... You can follow my friend Katie and her adventures on HER blog at www.LivingAdventuresoftheHeart.blogspot.com.  

2 comments:

Katie Joy said...

Awesome Kaye! The challenge is set of me on this next trip to the USA in 10 days. I'm only coming for 3 weeks. I'm planning on the "carry-on bag only" strategy. Thanks for your tips! :) xx Katie
www.LivingAdventuresOfTheHeart.Blogspot.com

Kay Rice said...

I bet you can do it ... especially if you remember you CAN wash by hand some of your favorite clothes and wear them more than once.